Monday, October 24, 2011

Sesame Street, Sad & Pre-Sickness

This was a start of a very difficult week for our family. I did not know it at the time but because I am playing catch-up on blogging, I can predict it :) On this day we hosted a Sesame Street playdate at our house. We invited some friends (30+ to be exact) over to have snacks and watch Sesame Street at 11am.

So, here is the set-up:






Parker was not in that great of a mood and knowing now that we would end up in the ER by the end of the week, explains a lot. There were a lot of friends over and it normally doesn't bother me but it seemed like the vibe in the air wasn't a positive one. Some are bothered by having so many people in a small and confined space but everyone that attended had been to my house before and knew how many people were going to attend. Anyway, after everyone but Grace and Stephanie left, I was able to lay Parker down for a nap and chat with the girls. They were so gracious and positive, which made me feel a lot better :)


The sad part is that, unbeknownst to me, Parker was not keeping his hands to himself during the playdate. Admittedly it is hard to host something and keep an eye on your kid 100% of the time. I happened upon a situation, which is how I initially found out that there was a problem. Because every parent is different, I have to assume in every situation that a parent is hovering and over-bearing; and, discipline Parker accordingly. In saying that, I simply mean that I will remove Parker from the situation and talk with him about what he did...blah, blah, blah.....rather than let the kids figure it out (which is what my choice would be). I believe that guiding and directing is more effective, in the long run, than preventing. But this is just my type of parenting. When two types of parenting styles clash, the kids ultimately pay the price. Unfortunately, this has happened. Parker has lost a friend because of this and one day, I hope this can be a teachable moment for him. Until then when he can fully understand, we will keep doing what we do: love, direct and never give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment