Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Scribbles & Dribbles

Parker started Scribbles & Dribbles today at the Dallas Science Museum. This is an 8-week class that introduces children to self-expression by encouraging them to draw on their own creativity using all kinds of tools and materials.


Today we started class with the reading of Brown Bear, Brown Bear. And then came the messy part.....we were give a blank canvas, a stuffed bear, a book bag and a huge paper bear to "create" on. Let me detour for a moment.....this class is all about allowing your child to be free and let them lead the way. With that being said, Parker went straight for the bowl of brown paint (that was scented with cinnamon) and put a big spoon full in his mouth. He did NOT like the taste of cinnamon and about started crying. OK, back to my story.....first we used our hands to paint the bear with the above mentioned brown paint. After we were done, we hung him to dry and went over to the wash station to clean up. Parker spent the majority of the time here, playing in the water. The teacher reassured me that this is fine and some kids do their "exploring" at the wash station (love her!). I was able to pull Parker away for a few minutes so we could check out the different colored paint:

He had fun here and painted on his canvas and book bag a little. We should be able to paint some more next week on those items and the others we did not get to. Here are a couple pictures of the masterpieces so far:


I must admit, this was not my cup of tea! Shocking? I know, it was for me too! If you know me, you know that I usually let Parker do his thing. Today though was different. I am not sure why though.....maybe because it was our first day?!? Or maybe because my boy wasn't really listening to me.... I love this class though because it is very laid back and it allows Parker a lot of freedom and creativity. I hope I am a little more laid back next week! Oh and when I asked Parker on the way home if he had a good time, he said "des".

No comments:

Post a Comment