Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Night of Surprises, Friendships & Thanks

Tonight I was suppose to meet Blackmon and Abra at Zorba's for dinner and planning. Planning GM events that is. I thought this was a little weird because it was just the 3 of us but I was going along for the ride. I walk in to meet them and find a long table filled with friends yelling "surprise". The first thing that came to mind was, "I hope they know my birthday is in August". I was then ushered to my seat between Blackmon and Abra and surrounded by smiles, tears, cheers and thanks. Seriously I was at a loss! Abra then proceeded to thank me for a list of things that I can't really remember. I was still in shock and still trying to put all the pieces together and figure out if they were kicking me out of GM or something more serious. You know that being the center of attention is way out of my comfort zone but as I looked around I noticed how each person seemed so happy, appreciative and sincere. I think the conclusion I've come to is that they wanted to thank me for all of the events I plan for our group. While a thank you card would have been nice, I didn't want to take their joy away so I let the celebration continue ;) I could not believe that all of these Mommies dropped their evening activities to celebrate ME! We've all agreed that family time in the evenings is most important and usually if we have Mommy-only events in the evenings, it is after 8pm. For each one of these girls to be there tonight, husbands had to leave work early, babysitters had to be scheduled, dinners had to be prepared early, birthday plans had to be rescheduled, Daddies had to do bath/bedtime alone and so on. For that alone, I was so grateful to each one for coming! After the shock wore off a little, we had some delicious food, chatted, ate some dessert and.....
....I was given this. Another surprise, as if the above wasn't enough, was that all of the Mommies in our group chose one word to describe me and Blackmon created this tree that is full of leaves with those words, matched with the name {longest sentence ever}. It is truly a work of art and something that I will treasure forever! I love it!!!

God has answered my prayer for supportive and loving friends. These kinds of friends are hard to come by and I can honestly say that I call each and every member (all 50 of them!), friend. They are honest, caring, supportive, non-judgemental, non-competitive and funny. As I travel through this journey called motherhood, I could not have picked a better group of girls to walk with. I am blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment